<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 12, 2004

empowering neighborhoods

so, I've written about how I want to create/train/empower/extend/encourage neighborhood leaders, right?

Besides regular meetings and check-ins and accolades and recognition and listening to those folks who have become leaders in their community, I want to help those folks with all sorts of different training, resources, and leadership so they can leap ahead and not spend time trying to figure out how to run a community group.

Ok, so some things I want to cover with 'neighborhood leader training' (which would be done by other recognized leaders in the city, professional coaches and trainers, and other trainers who can add insite:

- organization structure and process:
we want neighborhood groups that have by-laws, a democratic process, outreach to the community, and balanced and diverse leadership.

- volunteer recruitment training:
we'll need leaders who know how to delegate and find people to delegate to.

- public speaking, handling difficult crowds, and speaking in 'positive, inclusive' language: we've all been to meetings were the leaders were good, and we've been to meetings where things got out of hand. it takes skill. we need to teach that skill.

- conflict resolution. http://www.communityboards.org/ I want these leaders to become the people folks turn to when an issue arises, and I want them to have the training and the resources to handle the situation. I'll bring in folks from community boards, both to train, and to explain their services.

- recognition. These volunteer leaders will have the ability to recognize their volunteers with something substaintial. Whatever it might be that I'll be able to get my hands on, I'll use. and If I can't get something, I'll find it via the local merchants. As we work with volunteers, we will reward them.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?